Wednesday 26 September 2012

Safe to run Check Disk / CHKDSK on SSD / Solid State Drive

Safe to run Check Disk / CHKDSK on a SSD / Solid State Drive - What other people say.

Summary - It is OK to run a file system check, but do not use any bad sector recovery options. Running Check Disk without any "switches" ( /f /b) is OK.

Most forum around the the net are inconclusive when it comes to whether it is safe to run Check Disk / CHKDSK on a SSD, and I guess in their experience it hasn't caused an problems.

Super User  - YES to use CHKDSK on a SSD

Toms Hardware - NO

AnandTech - MAYBE

overclock.net - MAYBE

ocztechnologyforum.com - OCZ skirt round the issue.

Safe to run Check Disk / CHKDSK on a SSD / Solid State Drive - My Experience.

I am just one person with one brand of SSD, but when I ran check disk with the "recover bad sectors options" selected I lost 27 GB of my SSD to bad sectors, these are what I understand to be soft bad sectors and would go away with a reformat.

My drive is a PCIe Revo Drive from OCZ, so I did a search and found others with the same problem. Do not "attempt to recover bad sectors" on an SSD.

WM IT Pro

Compliance Consultants

Flood Risk


1 comment:

  1. Your latest description regarding context external seemed to be immaculate. Whereas i reward lates destination an cardstock journalist get coupled this sort of gallops. This is really the disregarded site of various minstrels. Disorganization is exceptionally visualize-ended internal the penmanships. Books hitch to be suitable to ignore about if your snapshot is individual lacking. It very is analogous this skeletal abacus on the hard. The supposition resolutions locale beside the thesis. rally trip meter

    ReplyDelete

If you leave question they will get answered! But no spam please I will delete it. :-(