Tuesday 21 January 2014

Mighty Single Speed Chainset Review (33 tooth)

Mighty Chainset Review - Intro


I was building a cargo bike and needed a small ringed chainset. Cheapest I could find was this Mighty Single Chainset, I chose a 33 tooth one.

Mighty Chainset Review - Build

Build wise the mighty chainset is sturdy, fairly heavy, but fine. For £15 I was expecting less than what arrived, the finish is good, and so build wise I was pleased.

Mighty Chainset Review - Fitting

In order to use one of these mighty chainsets you will need a bottom bracket with a longish axle. I have tried this mighty chainset on 2 bikes with shortish axles.

One bottom bracket was 110mm and this meant that the chainring had to be bent outwards with an ajustable spanner in order to fit. Bearing in mind this was the 33 tooth variety! This bodge would not have worked with the larger sizes.

The other bike has a 113 mm axle, and that only just fits see below. Bear in mind that the chainring as been adjusted using the bending method.

So for the 33 tooth mighty chainset I would recommend and 118mm axle length at least, and even then it would depend on you frame if it actually fits.

Mighty Chainset Review - Pictures

Mighty Chainset - Very Little Clearance

Mighty Chainset - Basic but Sturdy








3 comments:

  1. via SJS... I'm curious to know the tread - the Q-factor - on these cranks. They look wide, as if designed to accommodate a full chain guard. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is the width between crank arms at the pedal mounting point. Sheldon Brown explains it better: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_q.html

      Delete

If you leave question they will get answered! But no spam please I will delete it. :-(