Thursday 29 May 2014

Shimano Chain - Quality Comparison

Shimano Chain - Quality Comparison - Intro


I have recently worn out a HG53 9 speed chain on my commuter bike. It lasted about 2 years in country lane conditions. It has been kept clean compared to the average MTB chain, but with a good life span of 2 years I was wondering how the more expensive chain differ.

Shimano Chain - Quality Comparison - Grades

In 9 speed there are 3 grades of chain available:

HG53 - Labelled with Altus, Acera & Tigra on the Packet
HG73 - Labelled Deore, LX & 105 on the Packet
HG93 - Labelled XT, Saint and Ultegra

Below left to right XT, LX, Acera


Shimano Chain - Quality Comparison - Visual

So I have now tried all three types I have a new HG93, a new HG73, and a used HG53 pictured below for comparison. There is little difference between the HG73 and HG53, but the HG93 clearly has a superior finish. It looks good, I wonder whether it will last longer?

Below left to right XT, LX, Acera 


Shimano Chain - Quality Comparison - Stock Photos

HG53

 

HG - 73

Shimano Chain - Quality Comparison - Which one to Choose

I would probably opt for the HG 93 or the HG 53 I would pick from the cheapest or the best, the middle ground seems to offer little in the way of improvements over the budget chain.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave question they will get answered! But no spam please I will delete it. :-(