Using a PC Cooling Fan for Ventilation - Intro
If you are wondering whether you can use a PC Cooling / Case Fan for Ventilation the the answer is YES.
In fact a PC Cooling Fan offer many advantages over the normal domestic offerings:
- 12v System
- Easily Mounted
Using a PC Cooling Fan for Ventilation - Kit List
So what do you need to set this up?
- A 80mm or 120mm pc cooling fan.
- A power source. 12V DC 1A adaptor.
- Wood screws(40mm)
- Jig Saw
- Wall timer
- Fan speed controller
A picture tells a thousand words:
|PC Fan for Ventilation - Overview of setup.|
|PC Fan for Ventilation - Use a Molex to 3 Pin Connector to avoid cutting wires.|
|PC Fan for Ventilation - Check fan for voltage and amps required.|
|PC Fan for Ventilation - Add a second fan if you require more air.|
|PC Fan for Ventilation - Use a wall timer to automate the on and off times.|
Using a PC Cooling Fan for Ventilation - Handy Tips
- After cutting the hole, sand the edges to make sure no bit come in to contact with fan blades.
- If you are using a power full fan 0.4A for example buy a fan speed controller, as they can be noisey when running at full speed.
- Arctic Cooling PWM fans can be connected in-line with no splicing required.
- Avoid cutting fan wires by buy a cheap molex to 3 pin adaptor.
Obviously this system could burn your house down if connected up incorrectly, and any cutting of wires will void any warranties. Do all of the above at your own risk. After all I have just written about what I am doing, it is your choice if you decide to do any of the above.