Tuesday 12 January 2021

Soundboks 2 - 2021 Review

Soundboks 2 - 2021 Review - Intro

I have long gazed at the Soundboks 2, wishing it were mine. And after a year of enforced saving (COVID) I have treated myself to a Soundboks 2 Speaker. 

At the time of purchase there was a choice between getting the Soundboks 2 and the "New Soundboks", the Soundboks 3 (?).

However, after watching lots of reviews on YouTube, I decided on the Soundboks 2. The main reasons was I liked the sound better, the secondary reason was that was £300 cheaper . . . .


I watched the above video and, the Soundboks 2, to my ears sounded better. Less harsh I thought. I like a soft mellow bass rich sound, a bit like the kind of sound you would get from an old school valve amplifier. 

Soundboks 2 - 2021 Review - Finding

My Soundboks 2 arrived in early December. I was patient and waited until Christmas Day to open it. The sound was very pleasing at low to moderate volumes, but become harsh at higher volumes. 

In my opinion the bass / treble balance is lost at higher volumes, and the tweeter become jangly and unpleasant at higher volumes also. 

Don't get me wrong it is a great speaker, very well built and the battery lasts for ages (days) for normal listening. It will also likely out last me, and be handed down to my kids it is so well built. 

The switches and the build of the casing is bomb proof. I love that. 

Soundboks 2 - 2021 Review - Context

So you might ask what speaker am I comparing this to? Well it is a home made one, that I have "perfected" over the last few years.

I like to dance to music that is bass heavy, and I like to feel the bass whilst still not hurting my ears, with over inflated treble and mid range. 

The specs of my home made speaker are as follows:

  • TPA3116 2.1 
  • 24V Power Supply
  • 12mm exterior plywood cabinet.
  • Salvaged 8 ohm speaker drivers and tweeter complete with original crossovers.
  • JBL 2 ohm 10" sub woofer
After a few weeks of listening I can safely say that I prefer the sound from my home made speaker. It quieter in treble and mid range, but still pack mega punch in the bass area. 

I will post a youtube video, with comparison soon:

VIDEO


Ocean Plastic Gifts

Sequential Test

Scientific Web Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave question they will get answered! But no spam please I will delete it. :-(