Friday 1 May 2020

TP-Link TL-MR6400 Freezes or Crashes

TP-Link TL-MR6400 Freezes or Crashes the Symptoms


About 2 years ago we moved to mobile broadband, the TP-Link TL-MR6400 has been very good over that period, up until around 1 month ago when it started freezing and or crashing.

Typically in our case this involved a loss of internet connection, and when you log in to the router (which appears still to be running) the status page is partially blank. As pictured below:


The problem can be fixed by rebooting from the GUI (system tools > reboot) or by switching off the router and back on, either on wall socket or button on the back.

I should say that this crash and freeze behaviour has coincided with the CV19 lockdown, which means we are running TVs, and 3 computers through this TP-Link TL-MR6400. I am also using an external antenna.

Things I have Tried to Fix This 

I have tried a few things to solve this problem. They are just shots in the dark, and some I am not sure if they have worked, as time will tell. To be clear none have the below have worked, I am just checking off options. 

Detach Unnecessary


This first thing I suspected was some sort of power overload (don't mock me I just try things out based on imagined scenarios). So I unplug all but one of the ethernet cables, and then used a network switch to take from there. Previously I was using all 4 ports, now just 1 so did this work? This did not work. 

Overheating

Next I thought perhaps overheating was causing the problem. So I rigged up a "wind tunnel" cooling system, as pictured below. There are vent holes around the perimeter of the casing so air should pass through the router as well as around it. 



It is basically a box, to force air around and through the router housing. I used an arctic cooling F12 fan, there was a notable draft through the box, and the previously warm router was stone cold. This did not fix the problem. 

Turn Off 4G


Again, thinking about putting less stress on the router . . . . what about turning network mode to 3G only? This can be done on router config page. (Network > 3G Only) 

I have just tried that and will report back in a few days. Update: Wow. 3G is really slow. Not really an option to put up with that. 


Other Ideas

Here are some other ideas explored:

External Antenna is Causing Crash?

I would say no. We had used a cheap external antenna for around 1 year, with no problems what so ever. The system had not been changed and yet the problems arose. 

Overuse Causing Crash?


Does too much bandwidth cause a crash? I am not sure, I haven't really seen a correlation. The router typically crashes in the evening. This would coincide with watching TV . . .  which is a heavy use, but on the other hand we have watched TV on 2 TVs for long periods without it crashing.

Please chip in in comments if you have answers or ideas.




Ciao

Thorpy


Environmental Consultants

Flood Risk Reports

Environmental Permit Applications

5 comments:

  1. I have two lte routers of this brand and both after 2 years of purchase, they suddenly disconnect from the network. I have investigated the problem and I believe they are suffering from overheating. Their design does not properly dissipate heat by natural convection. I solved it by placing a fan under the router.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have since moved to a Teltonika RUTX09 which has an all metal case, it is rock solid. But I have only had it for one year. Why do these TP Link routers start to fail after a couple of years? It is strange the overheating problem starts after this time.

      Delete
  2. Hi Thorpy,

    thanks for the article.
    I am experiencing the same issue, the router is dropping off the connection at times.
    What is strange is that there are some long periods (3-4 weeks) where it doesn't occur, and suddenly it starts breaking continuously the connection.
    The first period it occured, I opened a report case towards the mobile provider company, they opened a failure report and at the same time I made some attempts by using the sim card on a mobile phone, and it didn't have problem in that case.
    Put it back into the router and we had no issue at all for 3 or 4 weeks. Then now it is making again troubles.
    I am fought between network problem and router problem, and I don't really get which of the two is the responbile.
    Now I am trying to move the router in another spot of the house to see whether it may be a connection reach problem.
    But, given that you are using an external antenna, I get that this won't give me any result.

    What about updating the firmware of the router? this is the next step I will be taking.

    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have recently installed Openwrt on my mr6400. Version v1 is the only one supported. If you have this version, you may try installing this firmware. Otherwise you could try to upgrade with the official TP-link firmware.
      In my case, I solved any disconnection problems by taking the PCB out of the router and installing everything inside a ventilated case.

      Delete
    2. I think a firmware upgrade might help, but I have found that often this can also cause other problems.

      "long periods (3-4 weeks) where it doesn't occur, and suddenly it starts breaking continuously the connection."

      Yes, this is what makes it so hard to diagnose the problem. I would say it is router problem, as I never have problem connecting when using mobile phone, or with new router RUTX09: https://dorkythorpy.blogspot.com/2020/05/rutx09-industrial-router-review-install.html

      Delete

If you leave question they will get answered! But no spam please I will delete it. :-(